Sunday, July 28, 2013

Ready-made VS. Home-made

So, today I was at Target shopping for a familiar hair care product that I'm low on. A woman that seemed to know a thing or two about natural hair struck a conversation with me, discouraging me from a jar I had in my hand.

"I've tried that before... it's not very good."

I was surprised, because I saw short, black, processed, straight, hair... the more we spoke, she later revealed it was a wig, and that she was doing a deep-treatment conditioner wrapped up beneath the hair - the length of which, she displayed with one finger beneath her right shoulder-blade, went down to the middle of her back.

I was looking for something to help control frizz and define my curls better. Her remedy?

1 part glycerin, 1 part water, 1 part conditioner, mix in a spray bottle, and GO. Really??

"Oh... and add some honey to soften the curls."

We were getting so intimate with our personal hair care regiment, that I finally had to officially introduce myself (we were so busy jack-jawing about hair that we didn't exchange our names at that point). Her name was Takema, but I could call her Kema.

Glycerin is a "humectant", meaning it attracts moisture, and would be good for use in the summer, she said, since it would attract the humidity in the air and lock the water in my hair.

My main issue: I'm laaazy. Why go mixing things I have to go out and buy or find at home when I can just purchase something that's already made??

Well, here's a few reasons I thought of after I found myself in the local beauty supply store later this afternoon, with a bottle of "Africare" 100% vegetarian/kosher Glycerine in one hand and "Shea Moisture" Curl Enhancing Smoothie (with glycerine!) in the other:

  • Cheaper to make at home, I guess
  • Home-made products would be easier to customize the ingredient ratio based on its response to my hair
  • Food-safe glycerin would have less "stuff" in it (like preservatives or other chemicals) - if it's safe to eat, it's safe to put in your hair! <----- P.S. - I met ANOTHER natural hair aficionado at the beauty supply store, that quote was hers. Her name was Renee, she had long natural hair as well.
  • Self-fulfilling - knowing that I made something from basic ingredients in my own kitchen. I can't cook, but I can do hair!

In the end, I bought both - the glycerine and hair product are in direct view right now on my dresser. I will experiment with the two and see how my coils react.

One thing I read from an article on the Natural Hair Community newsletter:

"You don't tell your hair what to do - your hair tells YOU what to do."

The right combination of product, maintenance, restoration, and good ol' TLC will make for beautiful, strong, happy hair.


What do you think about ready-made vs. home-made?
Do you have any hybrid home-made recipes that you use in your own hair???

2 comments:

  1. To be honest I use products that have a great smell...my hair is such a hybrid...that it does whatever it wants lol So sometimes I use store bought and sometimes I used home-made.

    While I like Smooth and Shine Conditioner gel http://www.smoothnshine.com/core-line-conditioning-gel-super-shine.html
    And Shea Moisture Smoothie
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/shea-moisture-organic-curl-enhancing-smoothie/ID=prod6057761-product
    And this shampoo conditioner from Clairol http://us.herbalessences.com/en-US/hair-products/dry-hair
    I sometimes use Vegetable Glycerin and Shea Butter
    Or those two with water
    Sometimes I put Argan oil and water in a spray bottle.
    http://www.organixhair.com/category-title/27
    It all depends on what your hair likes.
    Sometimes you have to try a few products to see what works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Team Jacob!

    Again, what's great about Shea Moisture (it's such a staple product of mind.. I need to maybe expand my product ventures a little bit) is that the smells are ALL so great! Naturally too! No added perfumes.

    I'm curious, with the products you use and home-made mix you make, what sort of styles do you wear?

    ReplyDelete